Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why Moses?


Having recently done a little trip through Exodus I couldn't help but ask the question "why Moses?" I mean, let's get real here. He whined, argued, made excuses and, to get his attention, God had to put on a full Hollywood production – burning bush, leprous hand, staff into snake – and even then he still had an excuse as to why he couldn't do what God asked him to! Now Aaron, on the other hand, God gives him an instruction – to go and meet Moses in the wilderness – and off he goes. Now bear in mind that Moses had been out of Egypt for about forty years, and Aaron, (still a slave at age 83 so hadn't done much in the way of travelling), had no idea where to find him; hadn't seen his younger brother for all those decades and didn't really have much to do with him at all from when they were babies! But does he argue? Nope, he just goes off and does as God asks him too! Which brings me back to the point, why Moses? Why not Aaron? Surely Aaron, who was already in Egypt, spoke well, and apparently trusted God, would have been a better candidate? I mean, Moses had grown up in the Pharoah's home, lived in the lap of luxury whilst the rest of the Israelites were slaves, then he killed someone, covered up his crime and ran away – hardly the ideal person to win the trust of the Israelites.

I must admit that looking at the two men, if I had been God, I would have chosen Aaron! Which is probably why God is God and I'm just little old, flawed me. And that's exactly what Moses was – flawed – just like you and me. Aaron also had his faults, but Moses certainly appeared to have the lead in the number of flaws he possessed. Therein, I feel, may be one of the reasons that God chose Moses. He was flawed. He had a speech impediment, self-esteem issues, a hot-temper, in fact, he was a regular guy and God was able to use him. He used him to manage one of the biggest, most important events in the history of the Israelites and yet he was just like you and me.

I cannot claim to know the mind of God, but I do feel that one of the reasons that He chose to use Moses, was so that we could realize that He can use us, with all our hang-ups and problems, to do His work. That we cannot excuse ourselves, because when He calls us, it is because He can use us just exactly as we are – flaws and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment